Sunday, August 16, 2009

Burn baby burn. Vacation inferno.

Oh hi. I'm back from my vacation to the pits of hell. Er, I mean Palo Duro Canyon. Same difference. Pardon me if I'm in a salty mood. I have to work tomorrow. Boooooooooo.

So yeah, it was hot. Hotter than hell. Hot hot hot. Ole ole, ole ole. Let's see how many stupid song references I can throw in here.

Palo Duro Canyon was beautiful, don't get me wrong. But we spent 10 hours in the car to arrive at a place where you had to get up at 6:00 am every morning (which, let's just be honest for a second, isn't my idea of a "vacation") just to be able to actually see anything cool in the canyon, because by 10:00 it was 110+ degrees. Every. Single. Day.

So as you might imagine a lot of our time was spent in the wonderful air-conditioned oasis-like coolness of the camper. Praise the Lord for AC. Because of this, rather than a bunch of beautiful scenic photos of the park to show you, I have a ton of videos of Sydney. Because that's what we did. Played with the kid and took naps and ate junk food (the napping and junk food are totally my idea of a vacation). So here you go..... scenes from my vacation.

In this first one, we see Sydney growing up just a little too fast and exploring my makeup bag.




This next one features me tickling her. I love the way she laughs, and at one point, she snorts. Which is always funny. You can also hear Tiff in the background looking for the fly swatter. Here's another downside to Palo Duro - flies EVERYWHERE.




And my personal favorite, us quizzing Sydney on what certain animals/people "say". We asked her this no fewer than 20 times and it never got old.




And ok, I admit that we did get up early a few mornings and go hiking.




















And the canyon was lovely.















And I took some pictures.


























































Of things other than Sydney, I mean. Such as The Cowboy's back covered in flies.




















I told you it was bad.




























































As I said, it's back to school for me tomorrow. Summer was fun, but I'm looking forward to getting back into a routine and seeing my kids again. Hope you all had a great summer too! (although it's hard to imagine that summer is "over" when it's still 100 degrees outside every day....oh, Michigan falls, how I miss you)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a fun trip despite the flies and heat. Glad you had a good time!

BTW, my hubby and I joke that hell is going to be hot and humid, like a steamy jungle. Covered in flies.

Anonymous said...

LOL, I am glad you liked it..we lucked out when we went two years ago..it only hit the high 90's every day..and there were no flies..it was beautiful! You did not mention the play or the Dinner, did you like?

Cheeto

Daisymum said...

It looks like you had so much fun. Your videos made me laugh. She is so cute. Oh how I wish putting make up on was still fun. It is such a chore some times I just don't put it on.

Lisa-tastrophies said...

Ok, kid with the Texas A&M hat has got to be the most brilliant kid in the world ~ based solely on her choice of colleges :-)

And yes, I am just now getting caught up on my blogging ~ thanks to the back-to-school crazies.